Daily Life Hacks to Help with Weight Loss
Life is busy. Balancing work, school, family and unexpected circumstances can easily get in the way of any weight loss efforts. It’s normal. But there are simple changes you can make in your daily habits and actions you can take to help you stay on track with your weight loss goals.
Here are 10 daily weight loss hacks to help you lose weight and keep it off.
- Keep fruit on hand. If you want to know how to lose weight naturally, the key is in what you eat. Always opt for whole, natural foods rather than processed foods or hitting up the drive-thru or vending machine. Fresh fruit is a healthy snack for an on-the-go lifestyle.
Pro tip: Although it is natural, fruit can be high in sugar. So if you’re watching your carb intake, stick to fruits that are lower on the glycemic index, such as raspberries and blackberries.
- Walk the distance. Every little bit of extra exercise you can squeeze into a day matters. So park at the back of the parking lot at the grocery store or at work to get in some extra steps. Schedule walking meetings at work, rather than sitting in a conference room. Get up and walk to speak to a coworker instead of sending that email. Even 100 steps here and there throughout the day will add up.
Pro tip: Pick up the pace and walk quick enough to get your heartrate up.
- Skip the drive-thru lane. In a society built on convenience, fast food reigns. But the majority of fast food options are high in fat, calories and carbs with very little nutrition. Take a little extra time in the morning to pack snacks for your day so you won’t be tempted to grab a quick bite at the nearest fast food restaurant.
Pro tip: Keep a bag of almonds or seeds in your car for a quick, healthy and satisfying snack if you get hungry while you’re out.
- Drink water. We cannot emphasize the importance of hydration in weight loss enough. When you feel hunger pangs, it may be that your body is actually craving water. Drinking plenty of water during the day helps to suppress your appetite so you’ll consume fewer calories. Water also helps flush out toxins that can cause inflammation and weight gain and increases calorie burn.
Pro tip: Don’t drink your calories. Skip sugary coffees, soft drinks, and even diet soda. Stick to water to stay hydrated.
- Don’t skimp on sleep. If it’s routine for your head to hit the pillow at midnight and sleep fewer than six hours a night, it may be time to consider dropping something from your schedule. Sleep is essential for weight loss. Poor sleep habits lead to stress, which increases cortisol, resulting in a lower metabolic rate. Make sleep a priority to help your body burn fat more effectively.
Pro tip: Sleeping too much can also hinder your weight loss progress. Adults need between six and eight hours of sleep a night, so get up and get moving when your alarm goes off.
If you want to know how to lose weight fast, keep in mind that you didn’t get where you’re at overnight, so these weight loss hacks won’t result in overnight results. Weight loss takes time and dedication, but by making small, simple changes in your daily habits, you can reach your goals and maintain a healthy weight over time.
Could you use some help getting started on your weight loss journey? Contact your First Baptist Medical Center weight loss doctor today to schedule an appointment.